What is more enticing than the idea of a nutritious, colourful, flavourful salad? A nutritious, colourful, flavourful salad in a jar! I recently came across this idea and it has certainly revolutionized my lunches (which I frequently consume on the go). Creating and enjoying healthy meals that provide me with the nutrients and energy I need is one aspect of my daily wellness routine. I hope this idea will also inspire you to be creative---there are heaps of different combinations to explore
- Use a pint-sized mason jar for side salads and a quart-sized mason jar for main meals
- 1st layer: Put the dressing on the bottom (~2 Tbsp/jar)
- 2nd layer: Place items that will marinade in the dressing (e.g., meats, tofu, cooked grains, mushrooms, etc.)
- 3rd layer: Place greens/ veggies on top (e.g., sprouts, spinach, kale, lettuce, tomatoes, yellow pepper, etc.)
- Tip #1: Add a protein to make your salad hearty and filling (e.g., chicken, quinoa, beans, lentils, tofu)
- Tip #2: Make sure to jam-pack jars full so things won’t shift around
- Tip #3: A good ratio is half toppings (e.g., dressing, grains, protein) & half greens
- Tip #4: Add seeds/nuts for an extra crunch!
- To eat: shake salad so that dressing coats ingredients and either dump into a bowl or eat on the run!
*Adapted from "Back to her Roots" blog by Cassie Johnston
Keep Well Friends!
Jazmyn Balfour-Boehm; MD Candidate NOSM Class of 2017